Rectal Ultrasound Instructions
Arrive at check in time, checking in at the Surgical Procedure Area (SPA) which is on the 3rd floor of Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend located at 3333 RiverBend Dr. Springfield, Oregon 97477. You will park in parking structure S.
To prepare for Rectal Ultrasound, follow these instructions carefully: Ideally, please avoid foods with seeds and nuts 3 days before your procedure. Items such as yogurts or jams with strawberries or blackberries, and breads with seeds should be avoided. However, if you do forget DO NOT cancel your procedure.
- Purchase 2 Fleet enemas and one ten ounce bottle of Magnesium Citrate from your pharmacy. These are nonprescription items but your pharmacist can assist you in locating them. You will take the entire bottle of Magnesium Citrate by mouth at 6:00 pm the night before your procedure. Follow with 2 to 3 eight ounce glasses of water.
- No solid food or milk products after midnight on the day prior to your procedure. After midnight you may have ONLY CLEAR LIQUIDS such as black coffee, tea, soda pop, water, etc. You should have nothing by mouth including water 4 hours prior to check in the day of your procedure.
- On the day of your exam, administer the first Fleet enema 2 ½ hours before you need to leave to check in for your appointment. Follow package instruction. Lying on your left side is a relatively comfortable position and the most effective. It is important to retain the enema solution for at least 5 minutes before expelling the solution into the toilet.
- Administer the second Fleet enema 1 ½ hours before you need to leave to check in for your appointment, again holding the enema solution in for 5 minutes or longer. IF there are still bits of stool being passed from the bowel with completion of the second enema, please fill the empty enema bottle with warm water and administer a third enema. Continue warm‑water enemas until expelled water is clear.
- Take your usual medications with a small sip of water the morning of your exam including pain relievers and anti‑anxiety medications. If you are taking blood thinning medications or diabetic medications, follow the MEDICATION INSTRUCTIONS unless specified by our office with special instructions. Do not take multivitamins with Iron or Iron supplements for 5 days before your exam. You may continue aspirin products.
Arrange for someone to drive you home as you may or may not be sedated for this procedure. You may NOT take a taxi or a bus home if you are sedated. You will be at SPA an approximate total of 3‑4 hours.